- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 cups cooked, skinless turkey,cut into strips
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 (15-ounce) can Great Northern or navy white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 (6- to 8-inch) flour tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican-blend or Cheddar cheese
- 1 small avocado, peeled and chopped (optional)
- Coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add turkey, tomatoes, chicken broth, green chiles, corn, beans, lime juice, cumin and chili powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, preheat oven to 350F.
- Place tortilla strips on baking sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes, until crisp.
- Serve soup in bowls and top with tortilla strips, green onions, cheese, and avocado, if using. Serves 13.
Recipe by Holly Clegg.