- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped green onions
- 1 pound frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- -- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups whole-milk, small-curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated Romano cheese
- 1 -- egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Recipe by Nancy Allen.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat olive oil in 2-quart saucepan. Add onions and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add spinach and cook 1 minute. Remove pan from heat.
- Stir lemon rind, parsley and feta cheese into spinach mixture. Combine cottage cheese, Romano cheese and egg in a small bowl. Stir until well blended. Add to spinach mixture. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg; stir well.
- Scrape filling into a 9-inch pie plate or 8-inch square baking dish. Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Brush one sheet of fillo with melted butter, keeping remaining sheets covered with a cloth. Crumple fillo sheet into a nest shape and place on top of fillo. Repeat with remaining fillo sheets to cover filling.
- Bake about 10 minutes, until fillo topping is browned.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: