- Cooking spray
- 12 ounces dried Spanish chorizo, chopped
- 2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 12 slices whole-wheat bread, crusts removed
- 12 ounces Monterey Jack or sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
Recipe by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
- Coat a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine chorizo, jalapeño, salsa, cumin and mustard.
- Lay 6 slices of bread in baking pan. Spread chorizo mixture evenly over bread, sprinkle on half of cheese, and top with remaining bread slices.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a large bowl until smooth. Pour over casserole; top with remaining cheese. Press down with a spatula to soak bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake, uncovered, 45 to 50 minutes, until puffed and brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: