- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 4 cups peeled, cored, diced tart apples apples
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (depending on sweetness of apples)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 8 cups vegetable oil
- 3 prepared pie crusts discs
- Confectioners' sugar
Recipe by Mary Carter.
- Place apples in a medium saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a low boil. Cook about 4 minutes or until apples are soft (but not mushy), stirring occasionally. Drain and place apples in a bowl.
- Stir together juices, sugar and cornstarch until well blended in a saucepan. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Fold in apples. Cook about 3 minutes or until liquid becomes thick and clear.
- Add oil to a depth of 5 or 6 inches to a heavy pot. Heat to 350F.
- Roll and cut pie dough into 8 to 10 (6-inch) circles. Spoon 1/4 cup filling on one side of each dough circle. Fold dough over to cover filling. Pinch edges to seal.
- Place two or three pies into oil. Fry 7 to 8 minutes per side, maintaining oil at 350F temperature. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve warm with confectioners’ sugar sprinkled on top.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: