- 20 ounces fresh red, green and yellow jalapeno, serrano or baby bell peppers, stemmed but not seeded
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
- Place all ingredients in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add water (it should come about halfway up the vegetable mix). Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if the pot gets too dry.
- When peppers are completely soft, remove from heat and let cool. Remove thyme sprigs, and use a potato masher to blend. Add more salt if desired. Serve with tortilla chips. Stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container, this salsa lasts 7 to 10 days. Makes about 3 cups.
Recipe by Paula Disbrowe.