- 1/2 orange, quartered and seeded
- 1 pound raisins, divided
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 quarts green tomatoes, stemmed and chopped
- 1 1/2 quarts chopped, cored apples
- 1/2 pound brown sugar
- 1/2 pound pitted prunes, halved
- 1/4 cup dark (not blackstrap) molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.
- Combine orange (including peel) with half the raisins and vinegar in a food processor. Process until a chunky, even-textured paste-purée is formed, scraping the sides of the bowl a few times. Transfer to a large, heavy, nonreactive pot with remaining raisins.
- Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often (due to the sugar, the mixture will want to stick), 30 to 40 minutes or until thick. The mixture should be dark and very well combined, but the apples and tomatoes, though soft, should still be distinguishable. Cool completely.
- Spoon the cooled relish into zip-top plastic bags or jars and freeze.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: