- Cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup mild vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
Reprinted with permission from Crescent Dragonwagon's
- Preheat over the 375F. Coat a 10-inch skillet with cooking spray.
- Sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
- Stir baking soda into buttermilk in a small bowl. Whisk in sugar, egg and oil.
- Place prepared skillet over medium heat; add butter. Heat until butter melts and starts to sizzle. Tilt pan to coat sides and bottom.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and combine quickly, using as few strokes as possible. Scrape the batter into prepared pan. Bake until cornbread is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool a few minutes and slice into wedges to serve. Serves 8.
Cornbread Gospels (New York: Workman Publishing, 2007.)
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: