- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 2-inch pieces. Place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until just beginning to soften, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in a wok or large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds and bay leaf. When seeds start jumping, add ginger and onion. Sauté until onion is deep golden brown. Reduce heat to medium-low and add turmeric, chili powder, lemon juice, garlic, salt and potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, taking care not to break the potatoes. Add tomatoes and a little water to release any sticking potatoes and cook a few minutes more, until potatoes are tender. When ready to serve, top with cilantro.
Videos You Might Also Like
Didn't find what you were looking for? Try another search: